CTRL + L = Worst Keyboard Shortcut in Pidgin
|Reported by:||machineghost||Owned by:||rekkanoryo|
Description (last modified by machineghost)
First off, sorry if this is a duplicate (and I imagine it probably is, given that there's an Ubuntu bug for this as well, and this is REALLY ANNOYING), but I tried searching for "CTRL + L" and didn't have much luck.
So the basic problem here is simple: Pidgin has a keyboard shortcut that does terrible things, yet is super easy for a user to hit on accident. The specific shortcut is CTRL + L (I personally have hit it on accident *at least* three times), and it clears out your chat buffer. If you don't have logging on, your screwed. If you do have logging, you still have to close the message window, re-open it, and even then you'll have lost whatever logged stuff you previously had there (not to mention all the coloring will be gone).
Possible ways I could see making this not suck:
- Make CTRL + L + CTRL + L bring back the erased buffer (this isn't a great option, as most people won't know about it, but it's better than nothing)
- Take away the shortcut entirely
- Give users a way to change shortcuts
- Give users a way to disable shortcuts
- Give users a way to disable this one really annoying "feature"