Opened 5 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#15829 new defect

XMPP ping times out

Reported by: Jookia Owned by: deryni
Milestone: Component: XMPP
Version: 2.10.7 Keywords:


XMPP regularly disconnects no matter what server (Facebook,,, with the message 'ping timed out'. This is not present in other clients such as Gajim.

I can confirm that this happens on the latest revision, all the way back to 2008 with the commit "Don't send keep-alives if we've received data since in the last KEEPALIVE_INTERVAL seconds" (7c386db62c812548b8c6abce0c3987dbf90a610f).

A workaround I've found is to set DEFAULT_INACTIVITY_TIME to 30, instead of the default value of 120, as this fixes it.

Attachments (1)

debug.log.scrub (67.9 KB) - added by Jookia 5 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

I'd like to add that such a setting may have to do with my (not so great) Internet. However, changing one #define (which is just one variable in actuality) fixes it. Maybe moving it to a runtime option would be useful?

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by datallah

  • Status changed from new to pending

Please follow the instructions to get a debug log and attach it to this ticket.
It'd be interesting to see the debug log from when you get disconnected.

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

  • Status changed from pending to new

I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm unable to reproduce this again. It may have been a connection problem. From what I remember, the debug output noted that the connection was deleted due to a ping timeout, and during it working, I'd send XMPP pings every half minute or so. but at some point they'd stop responding.

comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

Okay, this is happening again. I'm almost certain it's to do with my ISP being wonky, but all other protocols seem fine. It's happening really bad right now so I'm going to attempt to get some debug logs.

comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

I couldn't attach this to the report as it required a CAPTCHA that didn't display in my browser (if it's there at all), so here's the debug report (private information has been scraped):

You can see in both and it times out.

comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by deryni

Can you get debug output from each account independently? The overlap (and your scrubbing) is making it a bit hard to tell what goes with what account. (I really need to fix that.)

But it looks like pidgin sends the ping requests and just isn't getting any response back, presumably your ISP/router is killing your connection out from under you during the periods of wire silence (given your earlier assertion that lowering the keepalive timeout seems to mitigate the problem).

comment:7 Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

I scrubbed a bit more cleanly this time by removing lines (rosters, etc) and ran Pidgin once for each account:

Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

comment:8 Changed 5 years ago by Jookia

I had it really bad today so I checked out the Mercurial repository, wiped my .pidgin directory and had it fail with the same errors. This time I also looked at Wireshark and saw that it had TCP re transmissions (not sure if they were received or sent to the server) and wasn't sending any new packets for my extra pings I was doing.

comment:9 Changed 3 years ago by dx

  • Component changed from unclassified to XMPP
  • Owner changed from EionRobb to deryni
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.
All information, including names and email addresses, entered onto this website or sent to mailing lists affiliated with this website will be public. Do not post confidential information, especially passwords!