Opened 11 years ago

Closed 11 years ago

#6527 closed defect (fixed)

Cannot retrieve Contact details if connecting via http proxy

Reported by: terryandtaotao Owned by: marv
Milestone: Component: Yahoo!/Yahoo! JAPAN
Version: 2.5.1 Keywords: proxy alias
Cc:

Description (last modified by terryandtaotao)

I am currently experiencing this issue with Y!M.

I connect to Yahoo IM server via an corporate HTTP Proxy server. And I found Pidgin cannot retrieve the contact/Buddy names/alias (First, Last) automatically. However, if I connect directly to the internet (at home), I don't have this problem at all.

The weird thing is sometimes I try to see some contacts' detail and all of a sudden it automatically gets refreshed and the names (alias) appears.

Just wonder if it is the default behavior behind a proxy/firewall? Thanks.

Would it be possible to file a feature request for this particular issue?

Update: Just found Pidgin 2.5.0 has the same problem

Thanks, Terry

Attachments (2)

purple-debug.log (11.5 KB) - added by terryandtaotao 11 years ago.
Debug log from debug window
debug.log (37.2 KB) - added by terryandtaotao 11 years ago.
Debug log using pidgin -d >> debug.log

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (11)

comment:1 follow-up: Changed 11 years ago by datallah

  • pending changed from 0 to 1

Can you get a debug log for the scenario where it isn't working?

comment:2 Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

  • Description modified (diff)
  • Status changed from pending to new
  • Version changed from 2.4.3 to 2.5.0

Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

Debug log from debug window

comment:3 Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

2.5.0 has the same problem. I collected 2 log files from Windows. Later I will collect a log file from Ubuntu 8.04 if necessary.

  1. purple-debug.log from Pidgin debug window.
  1. debug.log using pidgin.exe -d > debug.log

Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

Debug log using pidgin -d >> debug.log

comment:4 Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

Tested with Adium 1.3 and it has the same problem. It seems to be a proxy related issue for Pidgin/Adium?.

comment:5 in reply to: ↑ 1 Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

Replying to datallah:

Can you get a debug log for the scenario where it isn't working?

All done, if you require more info, let me know. Hope this issue can be addressed soon.

comment:6 Changed 11 years ago by datallah@…

  • Milestone set to 2.5.1
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

(In 6404d7635dd48f315b3c8fd3550970a417daa2ef):
Do a better job of detecting if the yahoo account is connecting through a HTTP Proxy in order to generate acceptable HTTP requests. Hopefully fixes #6527

comment:7 Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

I have tested with Pidgin 2.5.1 the problem still exists. Any ideas?

comment:8 Changed 11 years ago by datallah

  • Milestone 2.5.1 deleted
  • Resolution fixed deleted
  • Status changed from closed to new
  • Version changed from 2.5.0 to 2.5.1

Can you get another debug log, please.

comment:9 Changed 11 years ago by terryandtaotao

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

Sorry for the fuss.

I did further test on 3 different machines. Windows XP Pro with Pidgin Portable, XP Pro with Pidgin installed by installer, Ubuntu.

Now it works perfect with Y!M, the names can be retrieved. But there will be a bit delay. I guess it's because of the HTTP Proxy, nothing to do with Pidgin.

Thank you again for your great job! Wait Adium to be fixed:)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.
All information, including names and email addresses, entered onto this website or sent to mailing lists affiliated with this website will be public. Do not post confidential information, especially passwords!